Monday, July 09, 2007

Casualties of Toddler-dom


Mia's beloved Wa-Wa has suffered a tremendous tragedy today. A few days ago, I noticed that her right arm was rotated in an unusual manner. Turned out some stitching had come apart. With the hectic time settling in and unpacking I put off Wa-Wa's surgery. Bad move. This morning, Wa-Wa woke up an amputee. I promptly hid Wa-Wa or sent her off to recover so that Mia would not pick apart her stuffing.

You see, based on prior experience, I knew of Mia's penchant for removing stuffing. One of Mia's pink puppies was disemboweled by her a few weeks ago. A hole developed in the tummy and the next thing I knew there was white fuzz or filling all over the car. I never fixed Pink Pup either because we have two of them.

Tonight when it was bedtime, Mia came across Wa-Wa's arm and asked for Wa-Wa. She kept asking, but we just kind of ignored her since we could not find back-up Wa-Wa either. She is not exactly the same as Wa-Wa, but pretty darn close. She sports a different muu muu and her hair is a different variety of yarn. Thankfully I found back-up Wa-Wa after Mia went to bed. I snuck her into the crib. I wonder if Mia will think about where she came from.

We plan on the surgery tonight. I'll report back on how it goes.

And if anyone happens to be in Hawaii and comes across Wa-Wa's doppleganger, please purchase her for Mia. I will reimburse you. Though she's a Hawaiian doll, she's made in the Philippines under Regency Toys.

No comments: