Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Month Nine Milestones for me and Mia

As frequent readers know, Miss Mia began crawling earlier this month and I am the one who has reached a milestone. I'm not as worried over her getting hurt. Did I the supreme worry wart really just write that? Now she is quicker on her knees and attempting to pull herself up, thus begins the litany of bumps of bruises for which our care and concern over will diminish as time passes. I liken it to getting a new car. At first we take special care to keep it clean and neat. We wash it and don't let dust collect on the dashboard. We worry about it when we leave it parked on a busy city street and check it for dings upon return. Geesh--I sound like a guy.

A similar trajectory of feelings accompany having a kid begin to move on her own. At first we worry about every object that is not bolted down and the danger that lurks around the corner. We inspect and fret over a little knock on the head, but as time passes, we learn that a few bumps here and there builds character much like our Christian walk. Now of course I am not advocating forgoing childproofing. One must be vigilant and take necessary precautions, but I know that as Mia navigates the world she will get hurt physically. It's all part of growing up. I have scars all over my knees and elbows. A badge of honor for a tomboy. The drama of a little fall will pale in comparison to the playground politics and girl fights a la Odd Girl Out. I better pick it up and read it again now that I'm a mom to a girl.

Back to Mia. We can also say with confidence that she knows how to wave hello and bye-bye. It's not just a fluke, however, the waving was not too cute this morning at 6 AM when she decided to wave hello furiously to her shadow created by the dim light of her nightlight/clock. Mia is also into looking for a toy we cover with a blanket. She enjoys the process for a few tries and then tires of it.

For her nine month check Mia was 19 pounds and 5 ounces (70th percentile, down from 80th at month six). She measured 29 inches long (95th percentile!!!).

On that note, I better go fix her dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, about getting hurt, poor little Cooper cut the inside of his mouth pretty bad falling in a shopping cart. Had to take him to the ER yesterday, but he is fine now. I'm such a bad mommy! -UJ

winda said...

Oh no UJ! You're not a bad mommy at all. Don't think that. It's over and done with and I'm sure Cooper doesn't even remember the incident. They are so resilient. Hugs to Cooper and you.