Our pup just loves having Grandma or Pua Pua (nana in Mandarin) around. Kona waits at the guest room/office door in the morning waiting with anticipation for my mom to open the door. With Grandma around, there's one extra person to show poor Kona some attention. One extra person to rub her little belly, pass her a treat or two, and take her for walks. Grandma doesn't short change her either. My mom takes Kona on longer walks than Papa and I do.
Mia just loves having Pua Pua around. She's learning all sorts of little Mandarin ditties from her. Although I worry that the Meemster is too heavy for my mom, the woman doesn't like to put her down. I keep telling her to let her crawl around to play in her little corner by the dining room, but she just keeps holding her. Today, I tried to put Mia down for a nap. She was SO tired from our day out and about, but just kept crying. Finally my mom went in and emerged two hours later. She held the little girl in her arms in the glider while she slept for nearly two hours.
I bit my tongue because Mia is her first and only grandchild and Pua Pua doesn't live nearby, so I figure it's good bonding time. When Mia has her own baby, I expect I might do the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, the visit of the mother-in-law. I know the images that are conjured up from the visit of a mother-in-law. I imagine it's due to all the hollywood media. After all, J Lo entertained us in that movie Monster-in-Law. I have to say that my mother-in-law is actually quite pleasant. Despite the language barrier (she mainly Mandarin, me mainly English), we get along quite well. I think it's because she really keeps to herself, isn't pushy or demanding, and doesn't snore at night. The added bonuses for me is that she walks the dog, which gives me an extra 5-10minutes of shuteye, and makes us lunch and dinner. I'm not talking about just one dish, but usually several. It's nice to eat a balanced meal. Now, don't get me wrong, my wife does cook but it is not as regular and also the variety is somewhat limited. I'll probably get in trouble for writing this about her, but this post is about my mother-in-law and is pretty positive, so hopefully it'll balance out. The few downsides to having her around is that she's not that independent and so relies upon us to get around or go places. Also, our "personal" time becomes a bit more challenging. The other day we.... I won't go into detail. I'll leave it up to my wife to divulge if she wants. I don't want to get into any more trouble.
Anyways, back to my mother-in-law. I can tell she really loves Mia. It's great to see that and I'm happy that Mia is getting to spend so much time with her. It's amazing how much joy a little 19lb being can bring, especially when she's not really talking. The Meemster is babbling and my wife swears is naming objects. Perhaps, but it's still inconsistent and also pretty early. We've discussed about teaching her Chinese. I think it's a good move. In the next few decades, China is poised to be the major economy. Being bilingual in English and Chinese will be a great asset. I envision the day when my little Meemster calls me from her office in Shanghai and asks us to fly out for the weekend to have some tasty food. I hope we'll be retired by then and have enough stashed away to go on such a spontaneous trip. It'll be so much fun.
Just got interrupted as our dog just went on a crazy barking spree. We have this little 15lb mutt who is really tough behind glass, but put her in front of another person or even inanimate object and she's got no spine. She's a simple dog. Not that intelligent I hate to say. Today, I came home and since I didn't have the housekey on me rang the doorbell. My dog comes barking like crazy and it wasn't a "hello" bark but rather a "get away stranger" bark. Only after she saw me for a good 5 seconds up close did the barking cease.
Enough of that tangent. Oh, the Meemster laid out a small cry with all the barking but fell right back asleep without any intervention.
Life as a dad is quite enjoyable. I think being away during the day makes me miss and appreciate her more. I'm not sure what it would be like if me and my wife had to flip roles. I don't think it'd work out as well as it is now.
Post a Comment